Candy buffets are all the rage at the moment! And why not, they’re just awesome. A perfect way to add that special something to your event – whether it be a wedding or party. I really wanted a candy buffet because I just love how you can style them to tie in to your wedding theming and it acts as a great little ‘take home’ for guests!
I looked into a few options when my search started, but I was looking at a $1500-$2000AUD cost to have some lollies in jars! I couldn’t believe it!
Clearly, I am in the wrong business! As I didn’t want to pay a ridiculous amount of cash for someone else to do it, I decided to do it myself. If you want to create your own candy buffet as well, follow my steps below and you will be on your way! Please note, my lolly recommendations are for VEGAN lollies only – because lollies with ground up animal bits or various animal secretions aren’t very appealing to me!
How to create your own Candy Buffet
Make sure you know where your buffet will go and have a general idea as to the size of the table so that when you’re looking at jars and levels, you know how much you will need to compliment the space you have.
You can hire the jars/scoops from your local candy buffet provider, they normally hire those items out for when they are not using them. Alternatively [and the way I am going] is to hire your setup from EBAY, there are a number of lolly cart providers on EBAY selling them at a very reasonable cost. I am using this lady, from whom I get all the jars/scoops/levels/tags from for under $200! You can also hire full candy buffet sets from WEDDING WISH [Victoria Only]. If you already have apothecary jars lying around your house then that’s even better, but you would need a fair few of them. Buying the jars individually can be quite pricey, generally you’re looking at about $40-60 for a good sized jar. With whatever you choose to do, ensure you know exactly when you will have the jars so that you can plan what time you can be setting up the buffet on the day.
If you purchase from the lady recommended above, you will be provided all the levels you need – you just tell her what colour. But, if you are doing the whole theming yourself, how it looks is completely up to you. You could simply put a coloured table cloth to match the theme then the jars on top, you could also have the levels which are just boxes covered in a matching colour to create a third dimension or you could even get extra funky and have matching flowers, vases, trees set amongst the buffet. Have a think about exactly how you want the buffet to look, draw some ideas, google pictures – know exactly what you want before you start so you know what you are looking for.
Generally, you will need labels for the jars so that people know what lolly is what and advice on when the candy buffet is ‘open’. There are a number of ways of going about this, you can have someone on Etsy make them for you, the candy buffet hire company might do these for you or you could do something creative yourself by designing & printing and putting them into cute little frames.
Buy the bags or boxes in which guests will put the lollies into. I recommend noodle boxes for a good size and easy to use box. I recommend WEDDING WISH who post Australia wide and have very competitive pricing. If you’re putting ribbons on the noodle boxes, do this in advance, so that you’re not stressed and doing this on the day.
Buy the lollies in advance [but not TOO far in advance, otherwise you risk them going bad – especially chocolate as it may melt]. Lollies do not need to be wrapped, as people are not putting their hands in the jars and the jars normally have lids. If you have a colour scheme, work out what lollies to buy well in advance so you know exactly what colours you’re getting and how it will look. You could even get cute cupcakes with icing that match your theme, buy them or make them yourself!
How many lollies?!
Know how many guests will be coming approximately and from their make a rough judgement call from there add another 4-5 bags from what you have guessed. It is always better to have too many than too little. Maybe there is a mathematical formula for working out, but I wouldn’t know, I barely passed maths class (!). So basically, my advice is, buy a shitload!
On the day, give yourself plenty of time to put the buffet together. I would recommend at least 1.5hrs hours just to be safe. But it should not take more than 30-40 mins if you know what you are doing.
Suggested Vegan Friendly Lollies/Chocolates
- Spearment leaves, raspberries, musk sticks, hard jubes [MAXI Supermarkets in Victoria only. For exact stockists, call 03 9243 3777]
- Black & Gold Milk Bottles [Available from all SUPA IGA’s]
- ALDI Sour Straps [ALDI]
- BIG W Sour Straps [Cola & Strawberry – BIG W]
- Sorini Mint & Chocolate Truffles [Available from all Reject Shop Outlets]
- Choc Mint Crunch [Coles]
- RedSkins 20g Varieties Only [To be Confirmed – Very exciting news if true]
- LEDA Chocolate RUM BALLS [Coles, Woolies & health shops]
- DANDIES Marshmallows [Cruelty Free Shop Online or Radical Grocery]
- Sweet & Sara Marshmallows [UPROAR Store]
- Walkers Thins Peppermint Creams [BIG W]
- Original Licorice
- Flavoured Licorice
- Hard Jubes [KMART]
- Licorice bullets [KMART]
- Lemon Sherbets [KMART]
- Sherbet [KMART]
- Golden Crunch Honeycomb [Cruelty Free Shop Online and UPROAR Store]
- Wizz Fizz Sherbet Lollypops [Coles & Woolies]
- The Natural Confectionary Company jellybeans
- Liebers Jelly Rings [Call for stockists 03 9577 3000]
- Chup chup lollypops
- FRYS Original & Orange Fondant Chocolate Bars [Available in selected Coles/Woolies and most import lolly shops]
- Starburst or Glucogel jellybeans
- Allens Sherbies
- If you have access to a kosher supermarket [welcome to heaven]. You can buy vegan snickers, an array of endless chocolates such as smarties, chocolate biscuits etc
- KRAS Griotte Cherry Truffles [Available in some Coles such as Waverley Gardens, Vic]
- Constant Craving Chocolate Truffles [Available at a number of retail and online stockists]
- SJAAKS Chocolate range, some of our favourites highlighted below. You can buy from Cruelty Free Shop Online.
- Yummy Earth Freshest Fruit Candy Drops [Buy from Cruelty Free Shop Online]
- Pistachio & Macadamia Nougat [From Cruelty Free Shop Online]
- Eli’s Earth Bars [Taste similar to Snickers/Mars Bars. From UPROAR Store]